EAST QUOGUE FIRE DISTRICT
REGULAR MONTHLY MEETING
APRIL 6, 2023
The Regular Monthly Meeting of the Board of Fire Commissioners of the East Quogue Fire District was called to order by Chairman James Schaefer at 7:30 p.m. Present were Commissioners Allyn Jackson, James Schaefer, Stephen Gregory and Ed Seltenreich, Fire District Facilities Supervisor Dave Schaffauer, Medical Coordinator Brian Danowski, Chief Paul Sulzinski, First Assistant Chief Keith Phillips, Treasurer Colleen Pearsall and Secretary Lorraine Gregory.
FIRE DISTRICT FACILITIES SUPERVISOR REPORT
See attached report.
Mr. Schaffauer advised the Board that the County will be going to 800 mhz and suggested that, due to the high cost of the radio, the Board consider purchasing one each month.
ITEMS FOR DISCUSSION
MEDICAL COORDINATOR REPORT
See attached report.
A motion was made by Commissioner Seltenreich, seconded by Commissioner Gregory, approving the purchase of one (1) Cyanokit 5g from Hammer Medical, at a cost of $1,225.00. Approved 4-0.
A motion was made by Commissioner Seltenreich, seconded by Commissioner Gregory, approving the purchase of the medical supplies requested from Bound Tree, at a total cost of $366.20. Approved 4-0.
1. After a brief discussion regarding the hiring of a third full time First Responder Paramedic, a resolution was drawn up and states as follows:
2023-21. The Board of Fire Commissioners of the East Quogue Fire District hereby resolve to retain Peter Sulzinski as a Full Time First Responder Paramedic, at an hourly rate of $32.00 and including health insurance with a six (6) month probation period beginning June 1, 2023 and ending November 30, 2023.
The adoption of the foregoing resolution was duly put to a vote and upon roll call the vote was as follows:
Chairman James Schaefer - Aye
Vice-Chairman Allyn Jackson - Aye
Commissioner Stephen Gregory - Aye
Commissioner Ed Seltenreich - Aye
The resolution was thereupon duly declared to have been adopted.
Dated: April 6, 2023
East Quogue, New York
2. A motion was made by Commissioner Seltenreich, seconded by Commissioner Gregory, approving the hiring of Dan Siciliano as a part time On Call First Responder with an hourly pay rate of $29.00. Approved 4-0.
Maintenance Report dated 3/1/2023 to 3/31/2023 submitted to the Board.
The Board requested Mr. Schaffauer to seek proposals for resealing and stripping the parking lot at the Main Firehouse and Station 2.
See attached report.
After having reviewed the Chiefs’ requests at the March 30, 2023 Workshop, a motion was made by Commissioner Gregory, seconded by Commissioner Jackson, approving the purchase of the following items:
1. Milwaukee 24” Adaptable Bolt Cutter from Home Depot - $114.97
2. 5’ Halligan Hook from Firematic, approximate cost $150.00
3. Sterling Search Rope 200’ Kit/Markers and Bag from All Hands Fire - $654.99
4. Steel Band Saw Blades 44 7/8” 8/10 TPI 3 Pack from Home Depot - $35.97
5. Milwaukee Screw Driver Bit Set 50 Piece from Home Depot - $35.97
6. Custom Diamond Plate Box to house New Para Tech Struts on 7-6-11
7. Six Gaskets for Hose Sized – 1-3/4”, 2”, 2-1/2”, 4”
8. Eight Polo Shirts, Four ¼ Zip Shirts for Chief Officers from Gina Furano - $460.00
ITEMS FOR DISCUSSION
1. Mr. Schaffauer will handle.
2. Sexual Harassment Class is scheduled for Wednesday, April 26, 2023 at 7:30 p.m.
3. Commissioner Schaefer will contact Hometown.
4. A motion was made by Commissioner Seltenreich, seconded by Commissioner Jackson, approving the purchase from Firematic of twelve (12) 541 NYC Style Harnesses, Right Opening, w/Aluminum Hook 44”-56” ($3,748.56) and twelve (12) F4 Escapetech w/Lightning GT Hook, No Bag ($4,552.92), at a total cost of $8,301.48. Approved 4-0.
5. A motion was made by Commissioner Gregory, seconded by Commissioner Jackson, authorizing the purchase of ten (10) Narcan Rescue Bags, at an approximate cost of $7.99 each. Approved 4-0. (Note: Bags will be ordered by Mr. Danowski.)
6. On order - waiting for delivery.
7. Bottles need to be bar coded before refilling. Stickers cost $40.00 each. Tabled until next month.
8. There is no budget for 7-6-7. The Chief was requested to submit a list of items needed.
11. The Secretary will check the Retention Schedule and advise the Chief.
12. Commissioner Gregory will handle.
14. Commissioner Gregory asked the Chief to submit a list and Mr. Schaffauer will handle.
Commissioner Seltenreich advised the Board that OSHA will be requiring fire gear to be washed after each alarm. How will Districts be able to handle this?
Mr. Glass not in attendance.
A motion was made by Commissioner Gregory, seconded by Commissioner Seltenreich, accepting the Minutes of the March 2, 2023 Regular Monthly Meeting. Approved 4-0.
A motion was made by Commissioner Jackson, seconded by Commissioner Seltenreich, approving the Treasurer’s Report as submitted. Approved 4-0.
ABSTRACT OF BILLS
A motion was made by Commissioner Jackson, seconded by Commissioner Seltenreich, approving the Abstract of Bills for the General Fund consisting of 15 checks totaling $13,315.26 and 11 checks totaling $26,614.30. There was no need for a transfer of funds from the Money Market to the Checking Account. Approved 4-0.
COMMUNICATIONS AND CORRESPONDENCE
A letter was received from the East Quogue Fire Department regarding the swearing in of Steve Smith as an active member in the Department and the resignation of Robert Despres, Jr. from the Department, a letter was received from the Shinnecock Shores Association requesting use of the Meeting Room and an e-mail was received from the Southampton Pines Homeowners Association requesting use of the Meeting Room.
The Secretary reminded the Board that the Facility Usage Policy and Application need to be revised and should be discussed further at a Workshop.
Commissioner Schaefer advised the Board that the values had increased on several vehicles and that the insurance premium will be increasing by approximately $3,148.00.
A motion was made by Commissioner Gregory, seconded by Commissioner Jackson, accepting the resignation of Robert Despres, Jr. from the Department. Approved 4-0.
A motion was made by Commissioner Jackson, seconded by Commissioner Gregory, granting permission for the Southampton Pines Homeowners Association to use the Meeting Room on Saturday, June 24, 2023 for their meeting. Approved 4-0.
The Secretary will notify Shinnecock Shores Association that the Meeting Room is not available during evening hours for homeowner association meetings.
At 8:50 p.m., there being no further business, a motion was made by Commissioner Gregory, seconded by Commissioner Seltenreich, to adjourn the meeting. Approved 4-0.
Lorraine Gregory, Secretary
East Quogue Fire District’s House Attendant Report
To the Board of Fire Commissioners,
This is the attendant’s report for April 2023, meeting including but not limited to:
Topics for discussion:
I have an appointment tomorrow morning at 0930 I will be in right after.
I also have a meeting with the school next week 4-6 at 0815 I will be in right after
East Quogue Fire District
Submitted by Brian Danowski
April 6, 2023
Brian P. Danowski
April Chiefs Report to District
Reasoning: This tool is for 7-6-32”s vehicle as part of tool fit out.
Reasoning: This is for 7-6-32’s vehicle as part of tool fit out.
Reasoning:7-6-2 has no search rope and needs one.
Reasoning: We have no spare blades for our portable band saw and need extras.
Reasoning: This is to replace old Ryobi bit set.
Reasoning; As stated to house new struts No Quote.
Reasoning: we have no spares available and need to replace some gaskets that are leaking.
Reasoning: Shirts for Chiefs when Class A is not warranted, and T shirts are to informal. IE Town Chiefs or when we need to represent the Department at an informal function.
Items for Discussion
Chief East Quogue Fire Department
When you subscribe to the blog, we will send you an e-mail when there are new updates on the site so you wouldn't miss them.